Monday, May 11, 2009

Sweat lodge and more!





Yeah, last night I went to a traditional native american sweat lodge. a couple who used to live at the homestead and who have studied and practice native american traditions set it up, both as a way for everybody to help after the whole search and rescue thing and cause the husband was away for the last 3 months for work. in a tiny dome structure covered in layers of blankets we sat in a circle and in the middle were placed volcanic stones straight out of a huge bonfire outside. a few splashes of water, and voila, a sweatlodge. plus native american chants with drum and rattle. there were five "sessions" lasting about ten to fifteen minutes each, with breaks to open the flap for a few minutes then add more stones. It was an intense experience. I'm claustrophobic and have a hard time being in plain old saunas, but because there were other people there all sending out positive energies I made it through the whole thing without clawing my way out. When it was all over, I felt like I had lost two pounds, maybe i did. I must have sweat out every disgusting thing in my body.

Life at the homestead is good. I seem to be fitting in just fine, and I'm looking forward to the months ahead. The people here are really nice and I will probably stay for the season.

Yeah, I sometimes get the urge to just pack up and go somewhere else. It's almost as if when I'm traveling I want to settle down, and when I finally settle down, I want to travel.

I'm beginning to find faults with the homestead, things that aren't "permaculture". But I think I'll roll with it for now. Maybe. We'll see. I can pick up and go anytime I want. Sometimes I forget that.

No comments: