Monday, February 2, 2009

L.A- The City of Brotherly Love

So yeah, I Landed in the city of angels last night. At baggage, a woman suggested that I tie my hoodie around my waist. Rather than wear it it with the backpack. She said It was from experience. So I met my first backpacker/ex-hippie. She wished me luck and told me I'm gonna have a great time.

Well I got out of the airport. And where was I headed? To a complete strangers house. I found someone in l.a that would host me for a couple of days at their place. His name is mike and I found him through a website called couchsurfing.com . It allows travelers to connect with people willing to host them in their homes all over the world. I heard about it from a friend in Israel who traveled through Europe without ever staying in a hostel because he couchsurfed. It's seriously cool, and cheap!

So I took two had to take two buses to get to mike's place(ha ha). And immediately I felt the erects of los angelian hospitality. The the shuttle driver from the airport finished his shift so I rode the first bus with him and he gave me a v8 and I asked him some questions about l.a. The bus driver only charged me adollar even though the fare is 1.25. I don't know why. Then another guy gave me his day pass cause I guess he was done with it. These "brotherly" gentleman saved me a buck fifty.

Anyway. Mike. Cool kid. 25, music major at Santa monica by day, vampire pirate by night. Seriously, that's his thing dressing up like a pirate and hanging out with his pirate mates. When I got to his place he was in the middle of a mmorpg like wow but not. We talked about my trip a little bit beforei went to sleep(cause I got there really late. Good thing he's a night owl).

Today I'm headed to Venice beach to hang win the hippies and the homeless. And there is also this place called the l.a ecovillage, an urban intentional community that I want to visit as well

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, my names William Markow, I just wanted to mention that I'm going on a backpacking/hitchhiking/wilderness/wwoof trip myself in May, I'm starting in Portland, oregon and I'm traveling all the way to the tip of Baja California Sur, Mexico. I'm finding your blog extremely helpful because your firsthand accounts on farms is exactly what I need to ensure I don't get abused by my "wwoofer owners", I just began reading and I'm going through the whole thing, funny story, I spent 2 months wwoofing in Israel at a place called goats with the wind farm, did you ever go there? It's absolutely mystical... If you wanna contact me like a cool brother my email is vfweezincr@gmail.com my trip next may will probably take 2 years, my ultimate goal is enlightenment and becoming a stronger man, and growing 5 inch side burns