Monday, March 9, 2009

Headed to Yael Bernier's farm in Geyserville today

Yep, I finally managed to escape San Francisco. It was hard, what with all the people in the streets with flowers in their hair. But really, the people make that city, not a bridge or a park, or stores, or cable cars. I met such amazing people, people from all walks of life and I am a better man because of it. Like everyone else in this world, I have lots of preconcieved notions about things, a lot of which comes from tv and movies. So talking to homosexuals, talking to stoners, shroomers and acid freaks, talking to just sme guy on the street for a local perspective, it all helps me to grow and understand my world.

I hitchhiked for the first time in the good ol' U. S. of A today, and I got two rides. Both times I was picked up within two minutes of thumbing(which I didn't actually do cause it's illegal but any other sign like a hand out or an actual sign that says N or S is ok, someone told me.). The first, Lauren, has her own yoga studio, so she's super cool. We talked about her travels in central america and meeting Israel travelers (who hasn't). She gave me a very refreshing take on how the economy affects different people differently.

Now I'm in Healdsburg, which is sort of a touristy town, with wine shops and antique stores and plenty of free wifi. I'm sitting on the grass, with my laptop in my lap and the sun on my neck, eating chocalte chip cookies. Could life get any better? Yael Bernier will be arriving in a few hours to run some errands and pick me up as well. here's what the book has to say about her place:

We farm row crops and grapes in Sonoma County, north by about 75 miles from San Francisco. We farm sustainably, selling our grapes to a couple of small wineries and our row crops with an emphasis on garlic to restaurants and customers at the local farm market. Our farm is in Dry Creek Valley, a well-known wine grape region. The terrain is diverse with a beautiful valley, rolling hills, and coniferous forests. We have farmed here for over 30 years and one of our sons, Zureal, is now involved in the row crops. We farm 14 different varieties of garlic and greens, fruits, and root crops from spring til winter. Our work consists of greenhouse seeding, transplanting, cultivating, maintaining irrigation systems, harvesting, delivering and selling of produce. Sometimes vineyard work, as well. Our house has an extra bedroom with twin beds, and we’re able to host two people. We prefer you to stay a few days to a week or two. Most days we work until noon or a little after, with market days longer. Bicycles are available to ride to town, 7 miles. Car transport is possible, too. Bus service a short distance from our house. We eat organically with occasional meat. We speak English and Spanish.

I'm having trouble figuring out which farm to got to next. I've always been "heading north to Oregon" but that won't work anymore, I have a limited number of farms that were interested in me, and while some of them are geographically close to me right noiw they don't need anyone till april so I might head up to some farms then backtrack and visit other ones. As long as I hitchhike that will cut transport costs to practically nothing, which is good cause the last farm(not enough food) and the bay area kind of took a bit bite out of my wallet, no matter that i couchsurfed the entire time. I didn't pick up that mini amp I was thinking about, but I hope to do it before my next farm cause i really need to start making money and playing guitar in town would be fine. I did get a new used guitar but I have to have it fixed for a lefty this part that guides the strings on the frets.

No comments: