Wednesday, March 4, 2009

making progress on the farm hunt!

I am going to be in san francisco for another few days, and then it's on to my next farm in the santa rosa area north of s.f. Because I had a number of not so great experiences at my first four farms, I've taken a different approach and written many of the wwoof farms, organic volunteer farms and ATTRA farms, an emaill explaining what I am looking for. I'm hoping they won't all be pissed off by an impersonal mass email though I wrote the nicest letter i could. And if they see my blog they will hopefully see how honest and transparent I am. I print it here for you:

Hi, My name is Daniel Kra, I am 25 years old and I am WWOOFing(or working/volunteering/whatever) my way up california through to at least Oregon, wwoofing a week or so at a time on farms( or more). I am looking for good educating experiences and warm friendly people to work and play with. I am also looking for a place to stay and work long term, doing sustainable work(growing food(let me grow food for you!), natural building etc). I feel I cant commit to a long term stay until I've worked there at least a week, and I am relying on public transportation and rides to get around so it's inconvenient for me to just come and visit unless I could stay and work for at least a week. I wish I knew which farm was perfect for me, and I would just go there, but I can't so i want to visit a good number of places. I am writing to you because you were in the ATTRA directory and I was told by a WWOOF host that ATTRA farms are more suited to what I am looking for. So I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't usually write mass emails, but I know what I want to do more or less and I'll do anything to achieve it. I appreciate your time.

I would like to explain, what it is exactly that I am looking for, regardless of the fact that I might just work for you a week. I am looking for a place where I can work with people not just for them. I'm fine working by myself but the ability to discuss ideas is important. Ideally I would eat with my hosts at least one meal a day. I like to work hard but i need to eat 3 square meals a day(I am a pretty good cook) and time socializing( family, friends, and community are important to me).I would like the ability to pursue ideas of my own and turn them into projects that could make me and the owners some money, food or just to make life easier. Some projects that I am interested in pursuing include : cob anything but especially thermal mass heaters, perennial food systems(food forests- I have already been on four farms and none of them had herb gardens which I found surprising), mushroom cultivation, and site design (I need to practice permaculture design and I would love to map out your farm and leave you with a plan to maximize the potential of your property, especially water elements(swales etc.) i still have a lot to learn so i am looking for people to learn with and to teach by doing.

I see myself in a year or so living in a small cob or other natural materials structure which I built, continually adding perrenial fruits and vegetables to the landscape, selling mushrooms (that's one of the things I'm really excited about., organizing workshops(for money and some for free if there are neighbors and towns nearby. I have ideas for events like free movies projected onto something outside and then charging for chai and home made beer and snacks. I'm just looking for people with land to share my ideas with them. I don't have enough money to buy land right now and truthfully even if I did, I'd still need equipment and a truck. I'm hoping that with the resources of an existing farm I can make enough money to get a truck. I still need to get a driver's liscence(I know, right? I've been living very locally everywhere I've been and I never really needed it. So that's one of the first things I'll do when i finally settle somewhere.) i do have a few bucks, some of which I will invest in my projects or our projects. i want to be able to come up with ideas and make them happen.

A little bit about me: I have been living in Israel the past six years, I spent a total of a year and a half working on three different Kibbutzim( a kind of agricultural commune) I have spent the past year on an educational farm in Israel(Hava V'Adam .(I'm originally from New Jersey) I have completed a 72 hour Permaculture Design Course and was apprenticed to the farmer for three months. I have worked with cob and stone terracing, straw bale, homemade greywater systems. I am very well read and informed about most things permaculture/ sustainable living and am very good at explaining things to people and I am also very good with kids. I don't have enough building experience( carpentry, plumbing etc), more at agriculture, but I want to learn more about natural building among other things.

I'm a really hard worker and I'm really fun too. I play guitar and am very entertaining and funny.

So if you could let me know if you think I would fit on your farm and you have room for a worker for a week or two anytime over the next six months that would be great. Or if you know of somebody with land or people developing land, land trusts cohousing etc, please let me know. I am currently on break for a week in San Francisco and my next place will be around the Santa Rosa area. I'll definitely call you if you respond by email or phone.

My phone number is 973-280-2261

Thank you,

Daniel Kra
ekralogical.blogspot.com

No comments: